It’s a new year and there’s no better time to get your skincare regimen on the right track. Here are five simple habits to adopt now for better skin today, tomorrow and beyond.
1. Always remove your makeup. Yes, you may have had a long day at the office or were out late partying and all you want to do is crawl into your cozy bed, but a tiring day is no excuse for not washing your face. Taking off your makeup and going to sleep with a freshly cleaned and moisturized face will not only feel more comfortable, but is one of the keys to healthy skin, too.
2. Use a face moisturizer daily. Both before putting on your makeup and after you’ve removed it, be sure to apply a high-quality face moisturizer to keep skin feeling—and looking—radiant. Opt for one with SPF, and use it year round since your face is just as susceptible to harmful UV rays in winter as it is in summer.
3. Toss out old cosmetics regularly. Call it a makeup-wearing gal’s vice, but most of us accumulate so many products that we likely never get around to using them up before moving on to experiment with the next trendy shade or colour palette. Makeup, however, does have a shelf life and getting rid of old products will help prevent possible eye infections or potential acne breakouts. To keep skin healthy, go through your makeup bag and bathroom stash regularly (once every three months) and discard mascaras that have gone clumpy or smell chalky, foundations and concealers that have started to harden, and any other items that look, feel or smell suspect.
4. Go for a pro skin consultation. Make an appointment for a facial that includes a complete skin analysis to discover your unique skincare needs. A trained and certified aesthetician will be able to assess your skin and recommend the types of products that are best used for treating your skin. This is also a great time to ask questions you’ve wondered about, such as how often you should exfoliate (since this varies depending on skin type). Plus, getting a facial is a nice way to indulge. After all, who doesn’t love a day at the spa?
5. Don’t forget the rest of your body. Don’t limit your skincare regimen to just the face. For neck and hands, which are exposed to harsh weather elements, use moisturizer as you would on your face. For the rest of your body, use a moisturizing body lotion, preferably one that’s fragrance-free and non-greasy, especially if you have sensitive skin.