1. If nothing gets you more pumped up for your workout than the right kind of music, you’ll want to make sure you’ve got incomparable sound quality, and that’s exactly what these groovy in-ear headphones offer. The moderate noise-isolation feature means you’ll still be aware of what’s happening around you and, best of all, these sweat-proof ear buds will stay put even during your most intense workouts. So, there’s no excuse not to go full out on the treadmill anymore. Monster iSport Instensity In-Ear Sound Isolating Headphones, $99.46 at staples.ca.
2. Workouts can, of course, make a gal work up a sweat, so a headband certainly comes in handy. Our favourite are the ones made by an Ohio-based company that has transformed the fitness accessory from stereotypically tacky into highly functional and supremely chic. A huge plus: it won’t slip off no matter how much you sweat or how intensely you work out. Sweaty Bands Skinny Headband, $16.99 at runningroom.ca.
3. Not a fan of refilling your water bottle straight from the gym’s drinking fountain? Then this clever bottle with a built-in replaceable carbon filter is designed for you. The bottle’s filter removes chlorine and organic contaminants from tap water as you drink, so there’s no need to wait to quench your thirst. Free of BPA, phthalates and PVC, the bottle is also recyclable after it’s been used 300 times (that’s the number of single-serve bottles this filter is equivalent to). bobble Water Bottle, $9.99 (550mL) at waterbobble.com.
4. Head in and out of the gym looking as cool as you’ll feel in these hip-looking walking shoes. Made of naturally soft leather, they feel sturdy yet light and breathable at the same time. And the yellow laces are a nice bright accent against the shoe’s steel grey colour. ECCO JOGGA Shoes, $160 at eccocanada.com.
5. Spacious storage? Check. A strap for keeping your yoga mat rolled up and in place? Check. Side pocket for water bottle, exterior zip pocket for keys and wallet? Check and check. This gym bag is bright, beautiful and compact enough to tote around from home to gym and back again. Oakley My Perfect Gym Bag, $90 at ca.oakley.com.
6. These low-cut socks have arch support to help provide stability, which make them ideal for any workout, and not just CrossFit trainers. What’s more, smelly gym socks are something we could do without, so you’ll appreciate that these ones are made with antibacterial fibres that help to reduce odour. Reebok CrossFit No Show Socks, $18 (3 pair pack) at reebok.ca.
7. This slim device is almost sleek enough to be a fashion accessory, but it’s much more than that. Wear the wristband at the gym, as well as before and after, to track your steps, distance, and calories burned. It even tracks your sleep cycle and has a silent alarm for morning wakeups. Check how you’re progressing and on your personal goals by syncing the device to your smartphone or computer, and using the free app. Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity + Sleep Wristband, $99.99 at sportchek.ca.
8. This is your partner in crime for outdoor workouts such as going out for a run of a hike. This is Columbia’s first high-performance rain jacket that is waterproof, breathable, and fully seam sealed. They have room for your headphones, and the pockets go extremely deep. And the best part? It’s made from recycled materials, so it’s environmentally friendly. Columbia OutDry™ Extreme Eco Jacket, $279.99 at most major sporting goods stores.