Because this fruit is not only delicious to go with your breakfast in the morning, here are three recipes to help you incorporate them into your dishes and even cocktails!
Kiwifruit Cucumber Reviver
Prep time:10 minutes
Makes: 2 cocktails
- 1 Zespri® Green Kiwifruit
- 5-6 Fresh mint sprigs
- 3 oz Cucumber water (See below, provide 1 Cucumber)
- 2 oz Plymouth gin (optional)
- 1 oz Fresh orange juice
- 1/2 oz Fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 oz Simple syrup
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- Cucumber and kiwifruit for garnish
- Peel, seed and slice the cucumber
- Process cucumber with a pinch of salt and pepper in blender until smooth
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer, reserving liquid.
- Peel and slice the kiwifruit
- Muddle kiwifruit and mint leaves in cocktail shaker.
- Add remaining ingredients; shake with ice.
- Strain into 2 chilled glasses and garnish with kiwifruit and cucumber slices.
Barbecued Prawn Kabobs with Green Kiwifruit
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Marinating time : 2 hours
- 1 lb (500g) king prawns
- 1-1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- finely grated zest from of lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 Zespri® Green Kiwifruit, peeled and cut in chunks
- hot couscous or rice to serve (optional)
- Peel the prawns, leaving the tails on.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the sesame oil, lemon zest, herbs, soy sauce and seasonings.
- Add the prawns.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Pre-heat the grill or barbecue.
- Thread the prawns and kiwifruit onto skewers.
- Brush the Zespri® Kiwifruit with a little extra oil.
- Place the kebabs on the grill or barbecue and cook for 1-2 minutes each side, until the prawns are just cooked.
- Serve hot on a bed of couscous.
Black Rice Salad with Kiwifruit and Cashews
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Refrigerating Time : 2 hours
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cooked and cooled black or brown rice
- 2 Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit, peeled and cut up
- 1 cup quartered strawberries
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/3 cup salted cashew pieces
- In small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, honey, mustard, salt, pepper and garlic.
- In large bowl, stir dressing into rice.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except cashews.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours before serving to allow flavors to blend.
- Stir in cashews just before serving.
*All recipes are from Zespri.