This is one of my favourite recipes to make and it was passed down from my Grandmother. I’ve taken out the cream and bacon to make it vegan but in all honestly I can’t even taste a difference or lack of creaminess. It is packed with beta carotene, fiber, vitamin C & K and antioxidants. This means, it can help reduce your risk of cancer, lower your blood cholesterol and improved eye health. So grab a bowl of this perfect bowl of goodness, that makes your body feel good from the inside out.
2 tbsp vegan butter
2 Leeks (white part only sliced thinly)
1 sweet onion diced
10-12 Medium Sized Carrots (sliced thinly)
1 garlic clove crushed
½ cup brown rice
8 cups of vegetable stock
1 tsp of honey
1 tsp of pink Himalayan salt
1 tsp of black pepper
1 bay leaf
Garnish: chopped curly parsley or Pumpkin seeds
1. Melt butter in a pot over medium heat. Cook leeks and onion until softened. (3-5 minutes)
2. Put in the carrots, garlic, salt, pepper, honey, bay leaf, and vegetable broth to the pot. Stir and simmer about 20 minutes. Add in brown rice. Simmer another 20 minutes, or until rice is fully cooked.
3. Remove and discard bay leaf.
4. Blend soup in a blender until smooth.
5. Garnish with parsley or pumpkin seeds.
6. Serve warm and enjoy. Remaining portions can also be stored in the freezer for 2 months.