Make 12 bars
- 1 cup (250mL) Californian Prunes, chopped
- 2 ¼ cups (550 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) old fashioned rolled oats
- 4 Tbsp. (60 mL) sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) maple syrup
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease and line the bottom of a 9 in. (23 cm) square cake pan with parchment paper.
2. Place the California Prunes in a food processor or blender with 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) water. Process until pureed. Set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, oats, sunflower seeds and salt.
4. In a saucepan, over low heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar and syrup.
5. Pour butter mixture into mixing bowl with dry ingredients and stir until combined.
6. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the cake pan.
7. Spoon prune purée, carefully spreading it over oat mixture with a knife until the base is completely covered. Cover prune layer with remaining oat mixture.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden on top.
9. Let cool for 5 minutes, then cut into 12 squares, with a sharp knife. Continue cooling in pan, before removing. They can keep in an airtight container for a week.
*Recipe Courtesy of California Prunes