Much better than a mixer, the watermelon gives this traditionally Mexican cocktail a sweet and colorful punch. Add a watermelon wedge for a festive garnish at your next fiesta!
Makes 2 cocktails
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) lime juice
- 3 oz (90 mL) silver tequila
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cubed watermelon
- 1 cup (250 mL) watermelon juice, frozen in ice cube tray (optional)
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) agave nectar
- Ice cubes
- club soda
- mint or basil for garnish
- watermelon wedge for garnish
1. Pour a generous amount of salt on a small plate. Line the rims of two glasses with lime juice and gently dip the rims into the salt. Combine the silver tequila, grapefruit juice, watermelon, and agave in a cocktail shaker. Use a muddler to mash the watermelon with the rest of the ingredients. Add ice and shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
2. Carefully add ice cubes to your prepared glasses and, using a strainer, pour the tequila mixture over the ice. Top with club soda and garnish with mint or basil and a small watermelon wedge.
Recipe courtesy of Watermelon.org