The first time I heard about Nespresso was around ten years ago. My sister, who lived in Switzerland at the time, never stopped talking about her new coffee machine – and its ambassador, George Clooney. When I visited her, I fell in love with the refinement and the magic of capsule coffee machines. A delicious coffee, ready in a few seconds, and a taste that stays in your mind. It was a shame when she had to leave her coffee machine behind when she came back home, but today, many Nespresso devices have found their way in our houses. Here’s a little inside on this mythical brand.
In 1986, Nestlé pitched the idea of having machines that would recreate the drinks that baristas do so well. The first coffee capsules were created – Capriccio, Cosi, Volluto and Decaffeinato – and the first machines were offered in a few offices around the world, in Switzerland, Japan and Italy. A few years later, machines made especially for personal use were found in department stores and Club Nespresso started gaining popularity. People fell in love, one capsule at a time. That was when the brand was born.
That same year, in the beginning of the 1990s, the brand started a capsule recycling service in Switzerland first, and the other countries soon followed. Then came the machines we know today, the signature restaurant coffees, the cocoas and the large variety of capsules, from chocolatey flavors to spicier ones. Not only did Nespresso achieve their goal, they also created an empire that is now loved by the public. Going into Nespresso is like visiting an universe of distinction, and integrating a certain refinement in our daily lives.
I have only recently discovered the mugs and home accessories collections. I fell in love with the transparent cube that keeps capsules organized, but also the glass mugs that turns your coffee into Instagram-worthy works of art. Get some inspiration from the recipe below and let yourself be enlightened by this chic universe of aromas and coffee.
Pistachio velvet coffee
- 2 Roma capsules (2 x 40ml)
- Pistachio milk (30g of roasted pistachios + 125 ml of semi-skimmed milk)
- 80ml milk
- 10 cardamom seeds
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Prepare the pistachio milk by mixing the roasted pistachios with the milk
- Filter using a strainer and recuperate 50ml of the mixture
- In a casserole, heat 80ml of milk with 10 cardamom seeds until it simmers
- Remove from the heat and infuse for 10 minutes before filtering everything using a strainer
- Foam the cardamom milk using the Aeroccino milk frother or the machine’s steam nozzle
- Pour the pistachio milk in a Nespresso recipe view
- Prepare 2 Crealto espressos and lengthen them using 20ml of hot water
- Slowly pour the coffee on the pistachio milk
- Finalize the drink with the cardamom foam milk