The truth about eyelash extensions is…that They.Are.Amazing!
I recently got eyelash extensions done for the first time! I had them done at Lola Lash Bar in Calgary (West 85th Location!) and it was such a great experience. I immediately fell in love with their décor: think pink – but not too pink while being girly – but not too girly. The whole place felt upscale with a comfy and casual vibe.
Here’s a bit of what you can expect when getting lash extensions:
I made sure to be bare faced when I went to my appointment – this made it easier for them to apply the lashes right away, rather than having to wash off any makeup, etc. To begin, the lash technician asked me a few questions before we got started on the application to make sure I got the right lashes for me and my lifestyle. That way I would be getting the look that I wanted and be able to care for my lashes appropriately.
The weirdest part of the ‘procedure’ was to start they actually tape your bottom lashes down (this sounds worse than it is). This is to keep things from getting tangled up during the procedure and it feels fine – just a bit strange at first. The lash technician explains this process to you and is extremely gentle (it seriously sounds uncomfortable, but it isn’t!).
You get to lay down on the comfiest bed (see below) and just relax for 1-2 hours (depending on if you’re getting a new set or a fill done). You can chat with your lash technician or even just have a little nap! It’s really a relaxing process and then once you’re done, you have this amazing set of lashes! The vibe of the lash bar that I went to was super chill so it was nice to just relax and enjoy the “me time”, chatting with the girls around me a little from time to time.
My lash artist, Rebecca, was more than happy to answer any/all of my many, many questions and the girls even took photos for me during the process so I could check it all out after! Check these out:
These ladies really know their stuff – there is extensive training to be a lash technician/lash artist (they don’t let some hack off the street do your lashes!). I felt so comfortable and like I could trust her with my eyes. It’s not like a random sales associate who pierces your ears at the mall! She also talked me through the entire procedure so I wasn’t left wondering what was happening to my face!
There are different types of lashes you can get done, too. There are volume lashes, which look cool (these are a little big and long for me), synthetic lashes, mink lashes and silk lashes, which I chose as I was looking for more of an “every day” kind of look. They look quite natural (they are 11mm) and have a natural curl to them, too (B.20). They look like I’m wearing mascara when I’m not and that’s pretty wonderful.
Check out my Before & After here:
My lash extensions took a bit of getting used to! When I’d pass a mirror it would be a bit startling because I wasn’t used to seeing such a full set of lashes, especially when I wasn’t wearing any makeup. They can also feel a bit ‘heavy’ at first…after the first day, my eyes were a bit tired from the extra weight of the lashes, but I eventually got used to it.
Caring for them is super easy, too! The technician will provide you with a “spoolie brush” to brush and care for your lashes!
I’m only wearing lipgloss….that’s it. How gorgeous are these lashes?
Why I Love My Eyelash Extensions:
When it’s summer or I’m in warmer climates I don’t like to wear a ton of makeup – it feels heavy, it smudges and you have to be careful with how much eye makeup you wear when you’ve got a tan! I love that I can leave the house with a bit of concealer, tinted moisturizer and lip gloss and I’m good to go! Eyelash extensions have made my beauty routine way lower maintenance! The experience I had at Lola Lash Bar will have me going back there for a fill or two before the season is over!
I think these would be ideal for people who walk to work or spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter time (no more smudgy face!).
- Make sure to wash your hair the morning of your appointment and don’t wear makeup to the appointment because you can’t get your lashes wet for 24 hours.
- Brush your lashes as directed with the provided ‘spoolie’ brush (especially after washing your face or getting out of the shower – this keeps them from getting all mangled looking).
- When in the shower, your eyes may feel a bit water logged – hang a towel over the shower bar to pat your eyes dry between hair rinses so your eyes don’t fill with water!
- If you’re getting these done for an event, get them done with enough lead time to get used to them! Your technician can advise you on this.
- Be careful of the products that you use as far as makeup and makeup removers go. Your lash technician will provide you with all of this information. See below for some of the products you can get to help preserve your new lash extensions!
- Carefully follow the after-care instructions provided by your lash technician to help your lashes last longer.
- Resist the urge to constantly touch or pick at your lashes – this will detach them or won’t allow them to last as long.
- Lash extensions can be a bit pricy so be sure to care for them properly!
To get your lashes done where I did – contact Lola Lash Bar at West 85th!
Follow them on Instagram, too! @lolalashbar