Joan Rivers: Adele is fat

Apr 1, 2013

Joan Rivers: Adele is fat
(BANG) -Joan Rivers has slammed Adele, saying she is ''chubby'' and needs to ''lose weight''.

The TV personality - who initially branded the 24-year-old singer fat when she won an Academy Award for her James Bond theme 'Skyfall' - hit out at the 'Rolling in the Deep' singer by accusing her of being overweight, and joked she has taken an advertisement out on Adele's butt to say sorry for her initial jibes.

Speaking in a HuffPost Live interview, she said: ''It's not mean. She's a chubby lady who's very, very rich, and she should just calm down - or lose weight! She wanted an apology, so I took an ad out on her ass. I said, 'You are not fat.' And then I had room for a lot of other ads.

''Adele is beautiful and successful and has what, $100 million? Let's face reality: she's fat!''

The 79-year-old star initially hit out at the mother-of-one after meeting her at the Oscars in February.

Speaking on 'The Late Show with David Letterman', she said: ''What's her song? Rolling in the Deep ... fried chicken!''

Joan had another poultry-inspired dig at Adele in her latest interview, saying sales of the meat will always be good because retailers can always sell it to the 'Someone Like You' hitmaker.

She added: ''Chicken is good because you can sell it to Adele - you'll always have a market.''

It's not the first time Joan has hit out at another star's weight. In 2011, she said Christina Aguilera looked like a ''pig'' and accused the blonde star of thinking about food when she forgot some of the lyrics to the US National Anthem at the Super Bowl.

She said: ''She looked like a pig. How stupid can you get? Christina must have been thinking about food. That's why she forgot the words.''

• Jennifer
    April 1, 2013 at 9:53 am
    Wow...is Joan Rivers ever a nasty, nasty person. Why does she get her kicks off of bad-mouthing others? She makes money for being cruel? Why, oh why does society support her bullying? Boycott all Joan Rivers merchandise and stop watching her shows!
  • Donna
    April 1, 2013 at 10:54 am
    John Rivers is an ASS, and who cares what she thinks, she has always had a thing about people she thinks are overweight and I just want to say that she needs to have some crazy glue put on her lips and leave every one alone, I think Adele is beautiful the way she is..Joan Rivers has always been a mean person, so just hope no one listens to her, we are all built differently and that's who we are, no one else's business but our own how we look, or act..Joan Rivers is an ugly person underneath all that plastic surgery she has had..
  • Claudine
    April 1, 2013 at 11:08 am
    How is it that someone that is sooooo completely fake due to plastic surgery can bad mouth others so badly. She is the biggest bully and is turning her co-star Kelly into one as well. Adele can lose the weight and is beautiful inside and out. Joan, you will never get your looks back no matter how much more surgery you do.
  • jazzyj
    April 1, 2013 at 11:08 am
    If you have no talent I guess you make a career out of cutting other people up who are talented.
  • Hanson
    April 1, 2013 at 11:09 am
    And Joan rivers is butt ugly...at least adele is beautiful..Joan needs to learn to keep that huge mouth under control!
  • nancy
    April 1, 2013 at 11:10 am
    some comedians hide behind their act, where everyone is fair game and it's all "OK"...BUT, there is a difference between comedy and down right meanness and being an adult bully...where is the humor in her comments...we put some of the celebrities on a pedestal and adore them and listen to them...why?...if you want to admire a celebrity listen to Adele's music and her incredible talent and see her beauty, inside and out!
  • Drake
    April 1, 2013 at 11:18 am
    Well, that may be true, but at least Adele isn't an ugly f****king b!tch who looks like an old leather bag
  • lilian
    April 1, 2013 at 11:34 am
    Anyone can lose weight but no matter how much plastic surgery Ms.rivers has she is still not pleasant to look at or listen too.!
  • Sandi
    April 1, 2013 at 11:40 am
    I agree with Donna. Boycott anything that Joan is involved in. Make it known. When there is a advertisment that she will be hosting something send and email and say that you will be boycotting it. I do not watch her show because she is vile. She thinks that by bringing down another person is funny. This is because she is not funny.
  • natdufour
    April 1, 2013 at 12:09 pm
    she may be fat, but Joan Rivers is so full of botox that her brain is dead. She is an ass who should look at herself in a mirror before dissing anyone else.
  • m
    April 1, 2013 at 12:43 pm
    Adele is a beautiful person inside, and does not have a filthy sewer mouth like Joan, who probably had lipo to get rid of all her Fat!

I guess she can't help herself, since she was born with a filthy mouth, and that cannot be fixed with plastic surgery!
  • lou
    April 1, 2013 at 1:07 pm
    I don't find Adele attractive. And that's fair. She may be fat (I am was well). But there is a meanness about making "fun of" someone due to a physical feature that is out of their control. That should be off limits.

Joan Rivers is a comedienne who I can take or leave. These comments? Definitely leave.

Some comics might consider this "pushing the envelope". I call it "tearing someone down for no reason".

I do comedy as well. I will make fun of people for their actions, words and attitudes. BUT NEVER for their appearance. Nor would I feel comfortable with a comedian doing that.

Maybe it's just me...?

• royalanne6
    April 1, 2013 at 1:11 pm
    Well, Joan Rivers is old and ugly! You can get rid of FAT.. but u can`t get rid of UGLY! What a B**@tch.
  • ravenbran
    April 1, 2013 at 2:14 pm
    Like she has room to talk. She has more plastic in her body than a barbie doll. Adele is a human being that has real life challenges just like the rest of us. Calling someone 'fat' is like using a racial slur. It's wrong, it's mean, vicious and high time it gets shot down like other slurs.

• CDNSunflower
    April 1, 2013 at 2:19 pm
    Well at least Adele can lose her weight, unlike Joan who can't lose her ugly face! No matter how much money she puts into it...
  • sir.freddy
    April 1, 2013 at 2:36 pm
    Joan You are RUDE and nasty woman, who should look to the mirror. Now that's Comedy!!! A comedy of errors. You would have a years worth of skits for Vegas rite there!!
  • liz
    April 1, 2013 at 5:21 pm
    Adele is slightly overweight (pregnancy causes weight gain) but thats no the issue, she is a picture of a full bodied woman that is all real and rare!to many she is gorgeous! as for physco j rivers....she knows that she is washed up and out of comedy jokes so she takes it out on non plastic celebs..
    April 1, 2013 at 5:48 pm
    You all seem so surprised at Joan Rivers jokes/comments.She's always been like that and everyone and anyone is fair play.As for the plastic surgery jokes, she's use to them.They don't bother her so the best thing to do is like someone said- Boycott her. Send e-mails out telling them you don't support JR.Don't watch any programs that she'll star in. I don't think she's responsible though, for Kelly's mouth. She's had that since she was a kid.Her mother would even tell you that.
  • thedoctor5
    April 1, 2013 at 8:48 pm
    I find her comments very hypocritical considering how outraged Joan Rivers was when another celebrity made fun of her co-star Kelly Osbourne's weight. Now the two of them sit in judgement of other people, making the same kinds of hurtful comments. Kelly Osbourne knows how comments like that hurt, but now that she's lost some weight, she feels entitled to judge the worth of others based on their appearance. Two despicable women.
  • Recrea8
    April 1, 2013 at 10:08 pm
    Even if one thinks Adele is fat which I personally don't at all she could loose weight but Joan Rivers is UGLY and no amount of money in the world could change that. Joan Rivers looks like a melted ugly doll that all little girls throw out. Maybe we should do that to Joan Rivers throw her out with the trash.
  • dd
    April 2, 2013 at 7:04 am
    What an idiot, I don't usually like comedians , but this one is disgusting, especially these days with all the talk about stopping bullying. This is a really good example of being a rude , ignorant, bully, Joan Rivers!!
  • Shelley
    April 2, 2013 at 9:40 am
    Wow Joan, your a piece of work!! Adele may be chubby but your ugly!! Anyone who has to have as much plastic surgery as you do, shouldn't talk about anyone's else's flaws!! At least Adele can loose weight Joan, how do you fix ugly!! Plastic surgery doesn't seem to be working!! Look in your own mirror!!
  • Diana Poehlman
    April 2, 2013 at 10:29 am
    This coming from an old bitchy woman...the only reason she insults others is because she is lacking in her own talent...jealousy is a bitch and so is Joan Rivers
  • Liz
    April 2, 2013 at 1:44 pm
    Thing is, Joan isn't really all that great! I agree that some stars are quite large, but who is she to make fun when she isn't perfect herself! People like aggravate me so much! Sure you got some money, but ya ain't pretty honey!
  • Brandy
    April 2, 2013 at 6:15 pm
    Wow.

There's a lot of hate here.

With all of the nasty comments; I guess it's do as I say, not as I do, huh?
  • Lina01
    April 2, 2013 at 10:22 pm
    Joan rivers has been awhile for a long time and she must think she can say anything about anyone. How much plastic surgery has that women had! Adele has a beautiful voice and she is beautiful. So Joan the joke about chicken is just a pathetic jab because her ratings are better than yours. Your not funny. So Joan should maybe go to a class to get some class you have none. Adele is just a celebrity who is new and you want to bash her so look at yourself.
    • mj
      April 3, 2013 at 11:54 am
      I first watched Joan when she had a daytime TV show in 1967. She was very entertaining then. Over the years she has gone from funny to nasty. There is nothing funny about making mean comments about another person. Being 79 is not an excuse. Some people just get "moreso" as they older and she is justing getting moreso unkind. She won't be working that much longer and no one gives a darn what she says. You just look at the source of where it comes from. I know that I am overweight but don't need to be reminded. Has to be horrible to have it done so publicly.
  • THE Peanut Gallery
    April 4, 2013 at 2:27 pm
    O..M..G.. "Brandy", was right about one thing.. what a bunch of "haters and nasty comments". (Almost makes me wonder who p*ssed in your corn flakes..?)

You people are LOWER than Joan is. WHY is it not ok for Joan to "bad mouth/be nasty", yet ALL you are doing what you THINK she is doing??? Talk about hyprocritical imbiciles! And yes, I am most certainly laughing at the likes of youl. Mostly, because the sheer stupidity from you all is beyond belief. But.. I digress...

My observation is, that none of you must know Joan's acts, as she has ALWAYS been this outspoken about other celebrities. ALWAYS. Especially, when she has played in some of the smaller venues. Perhaps, just a thought.. She "seems" to be more outspoken (mean), because you are now able to see her on tv. She's in everyone's livingrooms IF you let her be. More air time, equals MORE Joan. More Joan, means you get to hear her routine. Yes, "routine", since you do realize her show is that...? A show. A show which is scripted. Huh..? Scripted you say..? Why, yes. It IS scripted. It's a SHOW people. And she IS a comedian. O..M..G.. Get a hold of reality people.. Shakes head as I walk away, in pure disbelief...

"Bullying": Something you are all doing. I looked in the dictionary and there you all were! Stop posting RUDE comments.
      April 4, 2013 at 8:22 pm
      Dear THE Peanut Gallery,I was hoping you'd show up! Can you believe all the "sharks" that are swarming? Looking for BLOOD! Thanks for telling it like it is. I LOVE YOU! You`ve made my day!
    • MJ
      April 5, 2013 at 10:14 am
      So Peanut Gallery it is not okay for other commentators to make remarks about Joan but you on the other hand have a dispensation from the pope or whoever to make judgmental comments on the others on this site. Pretty darn hypocritical I would say. Who do you think you are? Are others not allowed to have opinions. From what I read you are the one that had the pissed on cornflakes except you attack the other commentators instead of the celebrity. Please look up bullying and see how it applies to yourself.
      • Drake
        April 5, 2013 at 4:15 pm
        Yeah MJ! Peanut Gallery was writing and not reading.Looking a little further down in that dictionary would have uncovered another picture. I'm just saying hopefully without being a hyprocritical imbicile! Also Joan's "routine" is not always scripted. I wonder if Dr.Oz "scripted" what Joan said about Mariah Carey. Doubt it. Joan takes others insecurities and makes rude comments on them in hope that someone will laugh.She is not funny so makes a living at others expense. Remember Joan-If the other person isn't laughing then it's no joke.