6 items to unleash your inner cowgirl
Yahoo! The Calgary Stampede is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year. The annual event, which bills itself as “The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth”, kicks off on July 6 and runs until July 15. Whether you’ll be there or not, we’ve lassoed up six western-inspired items that will help add a bit of country chic to your wardrobe.
1. Even city gals need a plaid shirt, and this half-sleeve red and black number, with floral embroidery at the back, is the perfect one for a dressed-down kind of day.
2. When it comes to looking chic, rodeo style, denim is a must. This pair of stretch denim cut-off shorts, with a frayed hem, is a nice combo of hip-hugging and comfy. Brittney Cutoff Shorts, $69 at guess.ca
3. This adorable calico floral dress has “urban cowgirl vibe” written all over it. The cap sleeves allow for on- or off-shoulder wear so you can opt for a look that’s prim and proper, or one with a bit of sass. Prairie Home Dress, $74.99 USD at ModCloth.com.
4. Whatever we’re wearing on top, we know it’s a great pair of cowboy boots that will truly complete our western look. We love this brown pair with its über-feminine touches of perforated swirls, fringe trimming, and a large, pretty floral appliqué on the side. Fiore Leather Boots, $198 USD at anthropologie.com.
5. Though we’d like to walk the city streets wearing a Stetson, we really couldn’t pull it off unless we were attending the Stampede. So, we’ve settled on a more practical choice of headdress: this woven straw hat with its curved brim and a contrast ribbon band is just the right amount of country for us. Catarzi Cowboy Hat, $43.91 at asos.com.
6. Roots Canada has come out with their Calgary Stampede Centennial Collection, and our fave from the line is this French tote that has a vintage look and feel to it. Branded with the official Stampede centennial logo, this Italian leather handbag has enough room to stash a lasso and spurs. (Okay, we probably won’t be using it to stow rodeo gear.) Luckily, it’s just as good for carrying around our makeup, wallet, and phone. Cs French Tote-tribe, $189.95 at canada.roots.com.