A healthy complexion is on the menu!
Makeup, as wonderful as it is, can never be a substitute for naturally radiant and healthy skin. A balanced diet is actually a major player when it comes to skin’s vitality. And since a few specific nutrients have a remarkable effect on skin, we thought we’d present them to you, as well as their benefits.
A summer complexion that lasts
You’ve made sure to care for your skin all throughout summer by applying sunscreen regularly. The result was a sexy tint that you’re not quite ready to say goodbye to. Your best bet, then, is beta-carotene, a type of pro-vitamin A that the body draws from yellow, orange, and red veggies. This nutrient has the power to tan skin gently… without a toxic detour to the tanning salon.
On the menu…
- Carrots or beets: grated in a salad, or blended into a smoothie
- Winter squash: grilled, or boiled and turned into soup.
- Sweet potatoes: baked or mashed in place of regular potatoes.
- Apricots, mangoes, and papaya: make a great fruit salad!
Say goodbye to wrinkles
They are found in many skin care products, and antioxidants should also reign supreme in your diet if you want to maintain your skin’s suppleness and elasticity. These molecules have the power to fight free radicals that accumulate when the body is exposed to the likes of pollution, UV rays, and tobacco. Below, we have a few foods bursting with vitamin C, vitamin E and selenium.
Reach for these nutritious allies…
- Vitamin C: kiwi, strawberry, oranges, broccoli, fennel, spinach.
- Vitamin E: sunflower oil, almonds, wheat germ.
- Selenium: oysters, canned tuna, shiitake mushrooms, eggs, nuts.
If the correlation between junk food and acne remains to be proven, science has shown that a diet rich in zinc can help reduce symptoms. Fight pimples, blackheads, and other unsightly scars with what’s on your plate. The goal: 30mg of zinc per day!
- Oysters (100g): between 16 and 33mg.
- Calf’s liver (100g): between 9 and 12mg.
- Beef (100g): between 7 and 11mg.
- Sesame seeds (60mL): 3mg.
- Legumes (250mL): 2 or 3mg.
Your skin’s worst enemies
Remember that long hours in the sun, even in winter, as well as tanning beds, are not recommended for those who want smooth and clear skin that lasts. Also, it’s particularly important to stay away from cigarette smoke, as well as pollution, when possible.
Since it’s always exposed, your face’s skin is especially sensitive. Be sure to pay particular attention to ingredients and products that may irritate it, and don’t hesitate to consult a dermatologist if needed.
|find out more about the Vileda ViROBi Robot Sweeper!|
|Win a CLARISONIC REVOLUTIONARY SPA EXPERIENCE for you and 3 of your friends, valued at $2,000!|