Pedicure 101by Caroline Elie
published July 01, 2013
Feet all prettied-up for summer
It’s pedicure time, ladies! For those of you who’ve already strapped on their sandals without having added a dose of colour on your toes, take one step back. Did you know that more than one-third of men tend to stop their gaze on women’s feet during the summer? So, bid farewell to calloused feet and scaly heels; your feet are in for a spa treatment!
When we’re preparing for a pedicure right in the comfort of our own home, we make sure we’re well-equipped with the arsenal below!
1. An ensemble of precious instruments to help remove all signs of fatigue—hello, dry skin!—from our feet. This foot file is super gentle on our heels.
QUO Callus Softener, $8 at Shoppers Drug Mart and Pharmaprix.
2. If we need to hydrate our skin daily after a shower, the same can be said for our feet. We chose this coconut-scented lotion for our precious pair. Perfect to slather on right before bed.
Burt’s Bees Coconut Foot Creme, $14.99 in pharmacies.
3. We soften our calluses with the help of this exfoliating cream, which also cleanses our feet deeply—as well as our toes!
4. We adore this battery-operated gadget that removes dead skin and calluses with the use of a micro-mineral roller, which turns and exfoliates our heels and underneath our feet.
Emjoi MICRO Pedi, $49.99 at Shoppers Drug Mart and Pharmaprix.
5. A file that leaves the surface of our nails soft, smooth and sparkling—practical for when we don’t have time to paint our nails.
Deborah Lippmann Smooth Operator Nail File, $15 at Murale.
6. We give our toenails a dose of this vitamin-rich and concentrated formula, and we’ve got a pedicure that will last a long time.
Perfect Formula Strong Nail System, $30 at Sephora.
The latest trends
Printed stickers, gel pedis, and nail art are all “in” this season. Here, a few suggestions for a more daring toenail look.
1. Gel manicures have been all the rage lately, so we want to give our toes the royal treatment. After all, we want a super-resistant pedi now that beach season is here!
2. For added fun, we add this denim hue and studded stars to our beauty regimen. Classy!
3. Our nails will be in full bloom with this colorful pattern. They’re so pretty and easy to apply, we’re adhering to these adhesives all summer long!
Sephora Collection Nail Patch Art, $7 in stores.