[photo]-The Low-Down on Capsule Coffee Machines

The Low-Down on Capsule Coffee Machines

by
published

rating:   (335 Ratings)

Our guide to single-cup coffee makers
The advent of capsule coffee machines has virtually changed the industry. In addition to making inexpensive hot beverages of all kinds that are ready in seconds accessible to all, it’s also made coffee machines very trendy. And since there is a wide array of choices, we thought we would list the features of the ones that have caught our eye since their arrival on the market.

Keurig
Relatively well-known, Keurig’s capsule coffee machines can easily be found in major retail stores and prices vary widely. While we love the practicality it lends us at home, the brand also offers a selection for the office and the hospitality industry.

The bonus: The diversity of capsules. Many companies offer capsules that are compatible with this coffee machine. Thus, we can get our hands on different kinds and flavours, and that, no matter our budget!

Nespresso
Let it be known, Nespresso’s machine is the darling of capsule coffee machine lovers. A true pioneer, people quickly took notice thanks to its advertising campaign featuring the dark and handsome George Clooney which first hit Europe. Since then, our corner of the world has been blessed with chic, albeit rare, Nespresso boutiques, which offer choice entry into the wonderful world of delectable coffee.

The bonus: We love the look of the brand’s offerings, which serve as a decor accent on our kitchen counter, and we must admit that the taste of the coffee produced by this one differs from that of other similar coffee machines. While capsules are only available in-store or for order online, the service, however, is impeccable.  Take it from us: when you buy a Nespresso machine, you join a movement.

Starbucks
Yes indeed: last year, the American coffee giant launched Verismo, its very first capsule coffee machine for lovers of its green-emblazoned coffee. Critics may differ but, in the end, this machine reproduces the signature Starbucks taste very well, and thus enables us to enjoy just a little of this daily guilty pleasure right at home. Of course, the famous chain has the monopoly on its sale, but we were nonetheless curious to discover this brand whose machine boasts an impressive and surprisingly attractive design.

The bonus: Its look, and the taste of its coffee which calls to mind an authentic Starbucks cuppa!

Tassimo
We believe that Tassimo, Keurig’s biggest competitor, offers a beautiful selection of capsules of all kinds. Plus, it can be found in a variety of stores. Thus, it definitely scores points for its availability. While the coffee is pleasant and we don’t have one bad thing to say about its use, it didn’t blow us away until recently. If the goal was to win the hearts of Canadians, Tassimo nailed it by partnering with Tim Hortons to create an array of capsules of the latter’s eponymous brew.

The bonus: Its availability and its collaboration with the above-mentioned Canadian coffee powerhouse.

Now, the choice is yours!

Tag(s): living, kitchen, coffee, food

Rate this article:

• Zarita
    January 17, 2013 at 1:34 pm
    I thought that a lot of people were trying be more eco-conscious. If you drink a few of these coffee/drinks per day, those little plastic capsules add up. I know...there's recycling, but the old motto is 'REDUCE, reuse, recycle'. These machines seem to me to add more expense and waste just for a cuppa. Just a thought... (I use a french press, and compost the grounds, or put them directly on my garden.:-) )
  • Brandy
    January 22, 2013 at 9:22 am
    With the Keurig you can buy the Kcup filter so that you can use your OWN coffee, thus no plastic waste (and more economical).
  • Linda Stefanyk
    January 22, 2013 at 10:42 am
    I have the Nespresso but find it hard to find the capsules. Thanks for the low-down.
  • Yvonne
    January 22, 2013 at 11:16 am
    I am looking at getting one of these machines so this article popped up at the perfect time.

Thanks
  • Gingergirl69
    January 22, 2013 at 11:52 am
    What about the Dolce Gusto? I have this machine and the one I have has a very small foot print. I first had the expresso and cappuccino at Priority Pass airport lounges in Europe and the coffee was great-it has 15 bars of pressure just like a pro expresso machine which gives you nice crema. You can make it as strong or weak as you like because you control the amount of water you add. Also has a Mocha, Carmel,Vanilla & yummy Chai Latte options...And you also have cold choices of Ice cap and Peach Ice Tea (better for the summer). Overall I love this machine!
  • emirabecukic
    January 22, 2013 at 12:57 pm
    I am still not a huge fan of the capsule coffee machines. I still prefer the traditional coffee maker or stove top coffee pot. I have had the chance to sample the different coffees made with capsule coffee machine and I find the taste rather odd.
  • Peacock Tea and Coffee
    January 25, 2013 at 9:01 am
    It's great that we can make awesome coffee from home and have very stylish coffee makers as well
  • ffreedom24
    April 16, 2013 at 10:12 am
    I absolutely LOVE my Tassimo coffee maker. I had given up coffee 4-5 years ago, as a nutrition means, but now I'm back on coffee. I am a fanatic of special coffees (especially the sweet ones)and this machine does not disappoint. I've only come across one kind of espresso that had "sucralose" in it. If I remember correctly it is the Chai Latte, but don't quote me, read the label. Otherwise, I love it! Thank you Tassimo.
  • heatherbush
    April 18, 2013 at 11:56 am
    Keurig is the ONLY one for me
  • bomby
    June 26, 2013 at 7:07 pm
    I have a dolce gusto machine, have used it once, not impressed, and pods are hard to find and too expensive.
  • Cheryl
    July 3, 2013 at 3:36 pm
    These machines are an ecological disaster! They produce tons of unrecyclable garbage. It was lately proved that even if the pod has a recyclable logo on it, they are actually not recyclable because of mixed components in the manufacturing of the pod and the pods are removed and thrown out at the recycling plants. Also the coffee works out on average to $50.00 a pound. I can buy some very serious beans for much less than that. I thought this article might be a well rounded look at the pros and cons of these machines, instead it's just consumeristic boosterism.
  • 4thjet
    April 25, 2013 at 11:19 am
    I personally don't see the need for these over prices machines and their coffee packages cost more than 2 large cans of coffee, or even 2 bags of high quality beans.

Sticking with my regular coffee maker and as a treat grind my own beans with high end coffee.

Plus less waste, and more coffee, less cost!
about the author