7 Easy Ways to Freshen Up Your Home This Springby Martha Li
published March 28, 2013
Brighten your place for the new season
Spring is in the air, and there’s no better time to get the house in neat and tidy order. Here are seven easy tips for getting your place looking its best this season.
1. Get rid of stale air and smells. After a long winter with the windows closed, it’s time to let in some fresh air. Open all the windows to allow air to circulate throughout your place. If you have carpeted floors, it’s also a good idea to get them steam cleaned to eliminate stale odours that may have lingered over the winter months.
2. Rearrange the furniture. Are things feeling a little cramped in the living room? Switch things up by repositioning the couch and other furniture. Changing the room’s layout might be all it takes to give your space a new and open feeling to it.
3. Enhance the entranceway. Place a console table, with a framed picture above, by the doorway. Place a decorative vase on the table and you now have a welcoming focal point for anyone who walks through the front door.
4. Add fresh flowers. This is an easy and inexpensive way to liven up your place. Choose whatever flowers are in season at your local grocery store or farmers’ market, and display them in a clear vase to instantly brighten up a room.
5. Make the bedroom your sanctuary. This is the room where you start and end your day, so you want it to feel like an oasis. For a quick update, purchase a new bedding set with a pattern and colours that you find soothing. Paint the walls a different colour if you’re in the mood for a change of scenery, or hang up a new piece of artwork.
6. Clear the clutter, one closet or drawer at a time. It’s overwhelming to de-clutter the whole house in one day, so break up the task into manageable pieces by choosing one specific area to organize per day. Even if it takes you an entire month to de-clutter your place, you’re guaranteed to feel a sense of accomplishment when you see your home in a clutter-free state.
7. Buy a new area rug. A carpet is a great way to add warmth and character to a room. Choose a light coloured one if you have dark wood floors, or opt for a rug with a colourful pattern to jazz up a room.
Rate this article: