-2 handful of wild mushrooms (Morel, Chanterelle, Shitake, etc), sliced into 1/4-inch strips
-2 tbsp butter
-1 tbsp fresh thyme, stemmed
-1 1/2 oz cognac
-salt and pepper
-3 oz foie gras, divided into 4 equal pieces
-2 lb. top quality hamburger
-1 x truffle (the mushroom version, not chocolate!), or 1 ounce truffle oil
-4 x freshly baked hamburger buns
-4 tbsp mayonnaise, ideally homemade
-1 handful baby herb salad, or chervil, or arugula
1. In a sauté pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add mushrooms and thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 10 minutes.
2. Add cognac, let warm for 5 seconds and touch with a match to flambé. After flames die off, remove from heat and reserve.
3. In a separate sauté pan over high heat, add 1 piece of foie gras at a time. Sear on one side for 5 seconds, turn, then remove a few seconds later. Reserve.
4. Season hamburger with salt and pepper. Divide into 4 eight-ounce mounds with a large indentation in the center of each mound. Place one piece of seared foie gras in the center of each mound and form a patty around the foie gras so that it is trapped in the middle.
5. Grill or pan cook patties to your desired degree of doneness.
6. Warm buns, then smear bottom half with mayonnaise, top with greens, add burger, top with wild mushrooms, shave a few truffle slices overtop (or drizzle with truffle oil), and serve. Go directly to hamburger heaven.